The Big List of Liberties Lost Under Obama
These are all examples of the government forcing you to do something you were not previously required to do, or taking away your right to do something you were previously able to do. I am uninterested in comparisons to other administrations, and I am uninterested in justifications for these lost liberties; nor am I interested in other tangential issues that do not directly result in a lost liberty. Feel free to engage in such discussions elsewhere.
I list increased destruction of pre-born human organisms -- which includes fetuses, pre-implantation blastocytes, and fertilized embryos -- as liberties lost, as I believe these organisms have the same inalienable right to life as born humans. Feel free to disagree with that, but save your breath in complaining about it. We'll agree to disagree.
Policies proposed by Obama but not implemented will be green; policies proposed by Democratic leadership in the Congress but not implemented will be blue; policies actually implemented will be in red. Policies previously proposed, but then revoked are crossed out.
For suggestions to the Big List, send e-mail to email@example.com.
- D.C. Representation in Congress (passed by Senate 2009-02-26)
- H.R. 157/S. 160 give the District of Columbia a voting member of Congress, despite the fact that the Constitution clearly says only States may be represented in Congress. This reduces the effective right of representation of the inhabitants of every other state (except for Utah, which is given an additional representative).
- Health Privacy Rights (goal signed into law 2009-02-17)
- As part of the huge American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, Obama and the Congress set as a goal "for each every person in the United States" to have an electronic health record. There is no exception granted to anyone. There is currently no legislation to implement this goal, which is set for 2014.
- Taxpayer Rights (bill signed into law 2009-02-17)
- As a major part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, Obama and the Congress have taken away even more of our rights to determine what to do with our own money, especially in light of the Tenth Amendment prohibition on federal powers not granted by the Constitution (explicitly or implicitly via the "necessary and proper" clause), both now and -- because it is deficit spending -- for many years into the future. [As the Congress and President tend to do this almost all the time, we won't bother noting every example of it.]
- Funding of Abortion Clinics (implemented 2009-01-23)
- Obama signed an executive memorandum allowing federal funds to go to overseas clinics that provide abortions.
- Freedom of Speech on the Radio (proposal seen 2008-11-04)
- Democratic New York Senator Chuck Schumer said he wants to bring back the so-called "Fairness Doctrine." He is joined by Democratic Senators Dick Durbin and Dianne Feinstein.
- Take Away Certain Gun Rights (proposal posted 2008-11-04)
- President Obama's web site says Obama and Biden ... support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent. This proposal, among other possible provisions, will take away rights to many firearms and accessories and ammunition. The page also says Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment which protects the right of privacy of gun owners, and abolish the right to private gun sales.
- Involuntary Servitude for Children (proposal seen 2008-11-07; revoked 2008-11-07)
- On Obama's transition web site (emphasis added), he says: Obama will ... [develop] a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. [This was changed to no longer be a requirement.]